Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Garden Update!


Here's the latest picture of our main garden. It has gone jungle! It's so much fun! Abigail has only picked a few green tomatoes so far. But man, those red ones are scrumptious! We let Abby help pick the red ones and she pops those puppies in her mouth faster than lightening! :) We've recently built a little shade cloth cover to help protect the plants from our scorching sun. They seem to really appreciate the shade!
***

This is the 2nd garden bed that seemed empty for a while. I planted these ones from seed. It is SO exciting to watch little seedlings come up out the soil! And then they grow like monsters! The back row are watermelon plants. I had to thin them out yesterday, so I left two good strong ones. The middle plant is our pumpkin plant. All three of these plants have more than doubled in size since I took these pictures 5 days ago. They grow nearly 6" a night these days! It's crazy! And the front row are zucchini of course- they are easy growers. They are getting huge! We will have plenty to share with our family and neighbors I'm sure! All 3 of these plant types are suppose to vine and get pretty big. So they'll most likely spill over the edges of the planter. We'll see!
***

This is one of our artichoke plants. I found out they are a perennial (meaning they come back every year) and that they usually do not give artichokes the first year. :( Bumma!
***

And here is our crookneck squash plant. I had no idea how much space these puppies take! Each leaf is bigger than my head! There are lots of little squash under there- it's fun to watch them form from the huge yellow flowers!

***

7 comments:

Kellie said...

That is so exciting! I wish we could have a veggie garden again. I've been wanting a flower garden, too. Since we don't have any land, I bought a bunch of tea cups at DI and planted flowers in them. I loved having tomatoes when we did our garden and it seems like forever ago that we had it. Can't wait to see your fresh veggies spring up!

Marilee Leishman said...

Hey I'm so happy for you. It's my dream to have as much production as you. We planted squash, zucchini and cucumber. We planted from seed so some have started growing. You'll have to come over sometime and check it out. You become a pro.

Jason and Audrey said...

good for you Amba!! Our Utah garden ain't doin' so hot! It has to fight wild weather every other week. fun for you.

Unknown said...

I have garden envy.
Your garden makes my herb pots seem so silly.
Gorgeous.

my name is john said...

i have no green thumb...but i did make my own blog

it's http://pleezy.blogspot.com/

good times :)

PARKER KALAEKOI KAM said...

What a awesome garden!

Hadley Family Clan! said...

Hi Amber,
How was your birthday!! Can you believe we are both 29!!!! Take care and it sounds like from yoru blog you are all doing great. What a fun happy family you have.