Friday, September 24, 2010

Out Back Stories

So, I have somewhat neglected my gardens.  :(   They've had a hard time this year for some reason...it's just been so hot, and I got my shade cloth up kinda late.  The huge garden spiders don't help either!  

Anyway, our cucumber plant took over all the flowers in the side planter that I planted forever ago.  I let it wind itself around the plants (mostly just the greens) because I'm about to plant fall flowers there anyway, and I can't believe they survived the summer anyway! Well, it was a big bushy mess and so it was fun to lift up some vines and VOILA-- we found 4 big cucumbers like this one hiding underneath!  And a bunch of small ones too.  It made me feel good that not EVERYTHING was fruitless this year.  

I'm wrong though.  We got TONS of artichokes, and a few handfuls of delicious strawberries, some herbs, and lots of tomatoes...so I guess it wasn't all fruitless.  I'm learning.

Abbies such a goof!  :)  Last time I tried to grow cucumbers the plant got all white and not much came out of it.  (it did make my melons taste like cucumbers though-weird)

I thought this was so cute...Joey's use of the stroller lately.  He LOVES soccer!  I think it's so funny... him caring for his soccer ball like it's a baby!  

3 comments:

Dawson and Jenny Alverson said...

is she talking on her cucumber phone?

Kellie said...

That picture of Joey looks like Mini-Dave! Crazy:)

TrishAnderson said...

glad the garden is doing something for you. I am sure the flowers will be spectacular.